How it works
What do I need to take an online class?
We use a platform called Zoom. You’ll need a computer, ipad or iphone, and a good internet connection.
- Download the zoom app here. It is painless, fast, and free.
- If you are new to Zoom please do watch this introductory video from Zoom.
- If you have a computer, choose that over the iPad or iPhone. Not only will the sound be better but also you can interact more and see more of others.
- If you can, connect your computer/phone to an external speaker for better sound quality.
- Make some space to dance. If you are in a shared space, find a room to yourself so you can dance un-self consciously. Or invite your housemates and/or family to join you. Minimize distractions (doorbell/ email/ phone/household appliances/TV) so that you can be as present as possible.
- Wear comfortable clothes to move in and have your water bottle nearby.
How do I join online?
Look at the teacher’s website for clear instructions, most likely in the language in which they will teach the online class.
How much does it cost?
Most teachers are offering their session on a sliding scale donation basis. No one will be turned away for lack of funds. Look at the teachers website for information about how you can pay.
Will it be recorded?
No, this is an in-the-moment event. Please don’t record the music or take any photos of the group.
What time does the dance start?
Look at the teachers schedule. But please be on time, no later than 15 minutes after starting time, and stay to the end of the session. Your presence really makes a difference. Use World Time Buddy to figure out timezones.
Some helpful features of Zoom
- Speaker view and Grid/Gallery view – you can toggle between the two to see the difference. Grid view is recommended when we’re dancing, so we see and get inspired by each other.
- The ability to MUTE and UNMUTE – when you are on ‘mute’ it reduces feedback that can occur. It also means you can make as much noise as you want. The Host and co- hosts can mute and unmute everyone.
- The ability to have your CAMERA OFF and ON. Keep it on as it helps build connection. Your presence matters!
- The CHAT feature – via the ‘Speech bubble’ icon in the bottom bar. If you are having technical problems, this is the place to go.
- The ability to NAME YOURSELF if you haven’t already – click the three dots in your own window.